Monday, November 17, 2008

Back to school back to school. Isn´t that cool?

My brain is fried. And so is that of my compadre. Today was the first day of spanish classes at the Wiracocha Spanish School is Cusco. Both of us are taking six hours a day and we didn´t realize that we´d signed up for class between 8:30 and 3PM, with no break for lunch. Now I think most of you know both of us well enough to know that we have the metabolisms of 14 year-old boys and may not function well/get crabby when we "get low". Besides bleeding profusly from sampling my own fingers in an attempt to attain sustinence, the day went well. I didn´t sign up for a one-on-one course, but apparently I fall into some special category (that is, I´ve had some spanish but can´t remember shit). Making my point long as my brain is failing, 6 hours was a long time to be one on one with a teacher, speaking and writing only spanish. Natalie is in a class with A COUPLE (it makes a difference, she says) from Holland. And it is good (esta bien).

We spent the weekend in Pisaq, a nearby town that is mostly 0verrun by a tourist market on the weekends (or maybe everyday?) Oh, and yes, there are also expansive ruins of an Incan citadel commanding the mountains above. Will post pictures later. Must find food and leave this building. ¡Adios amigos and familia! Sam and Nat

4 comments:

dhancock said...

Girl, I am so happy to hear from you, see pictures, and follow your travels. btw-love the hair! Miss you, but am excited you are safe and enjoying it all! Take care!

GB said...

happy birthday

Anonymous said...

Get used to feeling exhausted from brain drain listening and speaking in another language. It's got to be one of the most tiring things I do. I know what you mean about the sitting all day too! In Spain it felt like cruel and unusual punishment. I'm so proud of you two. What a wonderful adventure. Thanks so much for the generous blog entries. Will print these tomorrow at the library. Know that this kind of thing keeps Grandpa in bliss...reading about your adventures allows him to experience vicariously. BTW...went out to the cranberry bog one more time with Dianna before the foot and half of snow dumped on us this week! It was beautiful, with alternating sheets of snow and sun. Missed you two lots.
Love,
Mom/Mary

Megan said...

My friends! Life is quite amazing, and your stories and photos remind of this. I'm so happy for every challenge and stroke of good luck that you are running into, and sooo thankful that you're keeping us so updated! Thanks!
Nat, I love the mop, it's nothing less than totally flattering and endearing. I'll get an update on the northeast end of the country out to you over this Thanksgiving break.
love.
megan